The first time I went to the Monmouth County Fair in NJ, I was introduced to Funnel Cakes.... same idea, different shape. Even though, the New Jersey version are delish, I still miss the old fashion chewy Zeppole. I saw this recipe on FB and it is exactly the same as the one I have in my old recipe box. If you're in the mood for a cheat, try it.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Confectioners sugar for garnish
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Pour about 2-3 inches of oil into a 3-quart pot and heat over medium-high flame.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add in eggs, vanilla and ricotta and mix well. The consistency will be like a thick batter.
- When oil is hot (about 375 degrees), start frying in small batches of 3 or 4 at a time using about 1 tablespoon of batter for each zeppole. The batter will puff up when dropped in the hot oil.
- Fry about 3 minutes or until deeply and evenly browned on all sides, flipping over about half way through.